2.29.2020

Small Multi-Purpose Table for Home or Office

This build was commissioned by a friend from church, Karen. She sent the measurements, such as the height she wanted it, and the length and width of the top. The only other specifications was, it needed to look nice, and be inexpensive. Alrighty then!

So, that word inexpensive led me to building grade materials....pine boards. That was fine by me, because that's mostly what I use anyway. Pine is inexpensive, readily available, and can be made to look really nice. Especially for indoor projects.

I started by making the frame, and gluing it up with Titebond II. The frame pieces were made using a couple of 2x4's, trimmed down on the table saw. I used a dado stack to make lap joints to put it together. This whole project was used with no hardware. Just wood, glue and lacquer.

Next up was joining the boards for the top. For this, I purchased one 8 foot 2x10, cut it the pieces slightly longer than desired. Using my router, I flattened the sides to prepare the boards to be joined. I didn't use biscuits, dowels or anything other than wood glue. Using my router/router table, I used a rounder bit to round the edges of the table top. I sanded to ensure the top was flat and smooth before I began applying the finish. For this table, I applied 4 coats of lacquer.



No comments: