8.15.2017

Basic Lumber Wall Rack For Getting Your Lumber Stash Out of the Way

Without a place to store extra boards, I'm convinced it's impossible to keep a woodworking space in enough order to work without re-arranging every time there's a project at hand. Oh man, I've moved stuff around and re-arranged until the motivation to work completely fades away. That's why it's important to come up with these types of solutions to the basics. Now I'll say, until fairly recently, my idea of building something with wood didn't require a dedicated space. But now that I've started acquiring tools that are more stationary in nature, it reasons to have a dedicated shop space. So like many of my fellow hobbyists, I have 1/2 a 2-car garage to work with. So the goal was simply this: put the boards somewhere that I can get to without too much headache, put them where I'm not stepping over them, nor have to move them to use any certain tool. A simple rack on the wall seems like the best solution.


As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I like to use what I have on hand if possible. I have a couple of metal pipes that I'm gonna cut down and use as the "shelves". So I went and bought 4 2x4"s, and started drilling with a forstner big that was as close in size to the pipe as I could find.


I attached these into every other wall stud with 5" screws.


Wow, big improvement. I feel like I'm starting to see daylight here. I have room to walk, which is good considering I have a few more tools to add to this space.

No comments: