11.24.2020

Ryobi 10 Inch Compound Miter Saw - Is It Any Good?

Like many woodworkers, I got interested a few years ago in actually putting a shop space together. This led me to adding stationary power tools as I was able. I always wanted a miter saw, but I put it off for a long time for some reason. When I purchased The Weekend Woodworker course a couple years ago, Steve put out a list of tools that were his recommendations to get started inexpensively. I already had most of the tools needed in the course, and decided to get this inexpensive Ryobi Miter Saw.

My initial concerns were, that a cheap saw from an entry-level brand name, wouldn't be worth the money. I knew I would have loved to get the Bosch 12 inch sliding compound miter saw, but at the time, it retailed for about $649. It was the kind of Miter saw you get, and never have to upgrade. Well, I was too much of a novice to make that kind of investment in it. So, I bought this Ryobi for around $130 at Home Depot.

To get right to the point, I find this saw quite adequate for what it's for. The saw works fine, and if it doesn't last forever, I'll have a good excuse to "upgrade".

Pros; 

  • Inexpensive
  • Does what it's supposed to do
  • Cuts straight or compound miters
Cons:

  • Dust collection does not work
  • Flimsy construction


The biggest drawback I've found on this saw, is the dust collection. It includes a dust collection bag that hooks to the dust port, or a shop vac can be attached. However, neither collect very much of the dust. For me, it's not that big a deal. I have mine mounted on a mobile station, and roll it where I want it when in use. That way I can control which direction the dust blows. If my setup was a stationary miter saw station, this would be a bigger deal for me.

The bottom line is this: I think the saw is great for what it is. If you're just getting started gathering your tools together, this is not a bad place to start. Having said that, I'm sure I will upgrade at some point.

No comments: